Dog Breed & Ownership Statistics 2018
Looking for the latest dog stats, facts and trends? We’ve got you covered.
As a nation of dog lovers, we love to know that our pets are living a happy and fulfilled life. Here at DogTips.co.uk, we’ve put in hundreds of hours of research into studies, surveys, and reports to compile this helpful list of dog statistics, facts and trends for dog owners, bloggers and editors.
Dog Ownership & Costs
- There are 8.9 million dogs in the UK.
- 26% of UK households now own a dog.
- 6.6 million households in the UK own a dog.
- The most popular area of the UK for dog ownership is the North East with 33% owning a dog.
- Owners spent £4.6 billion on their pets in 2016 up from £3 billion in 2010.
- 69% of dog owners underestimated the monthly ownership cost.
- The average cost of dog ownership is £70-£105 per month.
- The estimated minimum lifetime cost of owning a dog is £6,500 – £17,000.
- 15% of dog owners found their pet via an advert on a classified advertising website.
- 30% of dog owners think their pet is overweight.
- 25% of pet owners have never heard of the of the Animal Welfare Acts.
- 36% of dog owners used the internet for research before choosing their breed. (PSDA, 2018)
Most Popular Dog Breeds in 2018
- The Labrador Retriever has been the UK’s most popular dog breed for the past 5+years (Kennel Club, 2017)
- There were 35,068 Labrador puppies registered with the Kennel Club in 2017 (Kennel Club, 2017)
- The number of French Bulldog registrations in 2017 rose 44% from 2016 (Kennel Club, 2017)
- There are some 340 recognised breeds of dog plus thousands of cross breeds in the UK (RSAGroup, 2018)
Top Most Popular Dog Breeds List
||English Cocker Spaniel
||English Springer Spaniel
||German Shepherd Dog
||Dachshund (Miniature Smooth-Haired)
||Staffordshire Bull Terrier
||Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
||Chihuahua (Smooth Coat)
Dog Bites & Attacks
- The dog breed revealed to be the most responsible for attacks on delivery workers was German Shepherds.
- Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Border Collies and Labradors were next on the list of those likely to attack.
- There were 8,014 hospital admissions for dog bites or strikes in England in 2018.
- Hospital admissions as a result of dog bites or strikes rose by 7.4% from 2017 to 2018.
- Over 12% of attacks occur with children aged 9 and under.
- Hospital admissions have increased by 27% in the last 5-years due to dog bites or strikes.
- There were 2,600 dog attacks against Royal Mail staff last year.
- The rate of dog attacks in Liverpool is more than twice the national average.
Stray Dogs in the UK
- At any given time, there are an estimated 100,000 dogs without homes in the UK. (PETA,2016)
- Over 47,000 owners have abandoned their dogs in the past twelve months. (Dogs Trust, 2017)
- Around 21 dogs are euthanised in shelters across the UK every day. (PETA,2016)
- 47,596 dogs were left behind in council pounds, where they remained unclaimed by their owners. (Dogs Trust, 2017)
- In total 102,363 stray and abandoned dogs were handled by Local Authorities between 2014 – 2015. (Dogs Trust, 2017)
- The Dogs Trust have taken 43,771 calls from people trying to give up their dogs in the last 12 months. (Dogs Trust, 2017)
- Since 2007 there has been a 37% reduction of stray dogs in the UK. (Stray Dogs Survey, 2017)
- An estimated 60% of stray dogs were reunited with their owners. (Stray Dogs Survey, 2017)
- 1,189 stray dogs were put to sleep in 2017. (Stray Dogs Survey, 2017)
- In 2017 The Dogs Trust Cared For 15,446 dogs at their 21 Rehoming Centres. (Dogs Trust Report, 2017)
- The RSPCA rescued 7,769 dogs in the UK in 2017. (RSPCA, 2018)
Dog Care, Diet & Nutrition Stats
- 16% of dogs are walked less than once per day. (PDSA, 2018)
- There are 89,000 dogs in the UK that are never walked at all (PDSA, 2018)
- 91% of all dogs in the UK are Microchipped. (PDSA, 2018)
- 90% of dogs are currently registered with a vet. (PDSA, 2018)
- Some 12% of dogs in the UK have received no training in any way. (PDSA, 2018)
- 46% of the dog’s Vets see in their practice each week are overweight or obese. (PDSA, 2018)
- 91% of pet owners give their dogs treats (PDSA, 2018)
- Dog biscuit treats are the most popular treat regularly given to dogs. (PDSA, 2018)
- There are 3.8 million dogs not insured in the UK. (PDSA, 2018)
- In 2017 the RSPCA received 1,037,435 phone calls. (RSPCA, 2018)
- On average every 30 seconds, someone in England and Wales dials the RSPCA’s 24-hour cruelty line. (RSPCA, 2018)
- The RSPCA investigate more than 149,000 complaints of cruelty and neglect every year. (RSPCA, 2018)
- 18 percent of dogs are never let off the lead by their owners (RSPCA, 2017)
Most Popular Dog Treats Given By Owners
Most Popular Female Dog Names 2018
Most Popular Male Dog Names 2018